Wednesday, January 13, 2010

YL Camp's BIG COOKIE!!!


My FAVORITE dessert at a week of YoungLife Summer Camp is THE BIG COOKIE! It's a giant skillet baked cookie with icecream on top. Each table gets one and everyone dives in! (or for germaphobes, you can scoup some out on your own plate).

Skillet-Baked Cookie

Cindy Young (Martha Stewart’s Living Dessert of the month for July 2002)

2 c. all purpose flour

1 tsp. baking soda

½ tsp. salt

¾ c. unsalted butter softened

½ c. sugar

¾ c. packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1-½ mixed milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 9 oz.)

1. Preheat oven: 350 degrees

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes (use the paddle attachment on an electric mixer). Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3. Transfer dough to a 10 inch ovenproof skillet. Press the dough, flattening to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake until edges are brown and the top is golden, 35-40 minutes. Do not over bake. It will continue to cook for a few minutes out of the oven.

4. Cool on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges. Serve warm. Top with vanilla ice cream and hot caramel sauce.

1 comment:

  1. I just got home from Sharptop Cove, after serving on the Work Crew (and having an awesome time!), while my 11-year old daughter had the time of her life! We served the INCREDIBLE Pan Cookie and the camp baker told me she'd print out the recipe for me...and I forgot to go back to the kitchen and get it before I left. I was SO sad (as was my daughter!). Your post made my day--is this the real recipe that they use at the camps? If so, YAY!!!!!! Thank you!
    Blessings,
    Ann

    ReplyDelete